Saturday May 31, 2014 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
A bus tour to Williamsburg will follow the course of the disaster that brought William Skinner to Holyoke one hundred forty years after the 1874 Mill River Dam collapse. See what remains of the village that bore Skinner’s name.
The Skinnerville Tour will be launched from Wistariahurst with tour guide and historian Ralmon Black from the Williamsburg Historical Society. During the half hour drive to Williamsburg the early history of the Pioneer Valley will be discussed, exploring the first use of the land and the transition from farming to industry that was underway when William Skinner arrived in the middle of the 19th century. Landmarks will be pointed out in Florence and Haydenville as the approach is made to Skinnerville where so little remains to be seen on the ground that there will be images in hand to enable one to visualize the riverscape and the 1874 setting of the first Skinner home, their mansion, the Unquomonk Silk Mill and its small dam. The tour will go on to the site of the failed Williamsburg Reservoir Dam from which point there will be a walk of about 500 yards over quite even ground to the vestiges of the dam to see the spillway, corewall, and location of the gatekeeper’s cabin. Then we’ll follow the course of the floodwaters the three miles down to Williamsburg Center before the drive back to Holyoke. Bring your questions!
Reservations necessary. Admission $45 general / $40 members
Tickets and Reservations
Advance Reservations are closed at this time for the event.
Please call the museum for more information at (413) 322-5660.