If you are interested in donating materials to the collections at Wistariahurst Museum, please take a moment to familiarize yourself with our requirements and limitations
Wistariahurst Museum will collect through gift, purchase, or exchange a comprehensive collection of objects, artifacts and documents which illustrate the history of Holyoke and the Skinner Family. This includes, but is not limited to, furniture, paintings, decorative arts, textiles and historical documents.
This Collections Management Policy is an acknowledgement of Wistariahurst Museum’s responsibility to the public trust, and ensures that the Museum will strive to administer all Museum operations according to the highest museum standards.
The following criteria must be met for acquisitions:
- Donated materials must be clean of mildew and mold, and be physically stable
- The Museum must have the resources to properly house and preserve the acquisition
- The acquisition must meet the Museum’s mission statement and collection scope
- All possible efforts must have been taken to ensure that the present owner has clear title and no conflict of interest with the Museum
- The donor must be willing to sign the Museum’s Deed of Gift, with no restrictions concerning use or further disposition of the acquisition with the exception of date of public access
- If an item is being purchased, museum staff must arrange and verify funding before purchase
- The donor must obtain an independent appraisal; the Museum shall not authenticate an item or provide an opinion about its monetary value
- The donor must agree to take responsibility for delivery of the item to the Museum and insuring it during transport